Friday, July 8, 2011

Pure Slush Response

I heard back from the editor of Pure Slush and he said he wanted to run my story, but that he had some edits in mind for it.

So, I made some changes and hopefully it will be to his liking.  I can tell that this editor has a very particular style and not all of his edits were true to my voice, but I made most of them anyway.  I need the exercise in hubris, as he won't be the only editor with a picky style and I'm not yet in a position to argue.

But, I am pleased.  It was nice to hear back so quickly.  And I know I benefit from each new point of view on my work.

The next story I'm thinking of working on is set in Angkor Wat.  The main characters are a young couple, but not necessarily Ian and I.  I'm thinking that I may need to branch out further, though.  The book will center on us as characters, but I think I need to stretch my creative writing muscles before I lock myself into only fiction-from-fact writing.

And now for something completely different...  Ian left for the STP (Seattle to Portland Bike Race) today.  I miss him so much!  That's weird, because it's not like we're together all that often, anyway.  

Our opposite schedules are really getting to me.  I'm also having a lot of anxiety regarding work.  I work for a great company (and I'm really thankful for my supervisor and team), but I no longer think I'm well suited for the call center environment, though I'm moderately good at it.  It's not uncommon for me to have a panic attack when I think about it.  On top of that, I feel incompetent for having those feelings.

But that's not what this blog is supposed to be!  Beg pardon, but I just needed that off my chest.

Cheer for Ian tomorrow and Sunday!  He's got 204 miles to go.

Good night!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, so glad you heard back so quickly. keep us posted. I will have to check pure slush out. A story located in Angkor Wat, I say hell ya. Good luck Ian, you will rock. And Casey you are really good at your job, you are being too hard on yourself. While having a panic attack do some breathing excersizes and stay in the moment. It really will help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I looked at Slush, and your story was far better than the one on there that I read; glad to see their editor thinks so, too. Hopefully, he doesn't want to change it into a story about puppies and aliens from outer space.

    204 miles: my butt hurts just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete