Thursday, July 14, 2011

Neighborly

The neighbor and I have become door pen pals.



We won't have time to get together until August, so we've taken to writing 1-2 notes a day and leaving them on each other's doors.  It's really fun.  I need more cute stationary...

In other friend news, it seems pretty likely that Ben and Amy will be heading over toward the end of the month.  Stoked!  I think the tv was the tipping factor.

It was a pretty mellow night at the shop.  A Canadian family came in toward close and we chatted a bit about taxes and then health care and then schooling.  I realized tonight that I don't even have a totally firm grasp on the income tax I pay.  It's about 20% on my paycheck.  But I don't know the real numbers or if there's one percentage for everyone.  I need to do some studying, apparently.

Good night!

3 comments:

  1. I really resent how many of my brain cells have to be devoted to understanding the tax system, and how much time and effort it's taken. It's like having to memorize what each plate of spaghetti looks like. What lasting value does that have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... It occurs to me that the tax system might be a good subject for a very short book. If you don't know this stuff, there are probably millions of others like you, who also don't but would like to find out painlessly. Yet, I'm not aware of any say 30 page books that explain it simply. You have to read some big hairy thing about how to save on your income tax, or else jump all over the web to 100 different places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taxes, Ugg! Don't understand them, probably never will. Do you think our Government likes it that way? Hmmm......
    I think it is so cool you are door pen pals with your neighbor. Portland is awesome!

    ReplyDelete