Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Opposite Day

So yesterday didn't turn out how we expected it to at all.  We started out needing cat litter and ended running errands all day.  It was alright though, for the most part.  Here are some highlights:


This guy puts poetry out in front of his house for everyone to take.


Trader Joe's sells premade bibimbap now.  Just don't read the ingredients.

And... we got a new tv!  We weren't necessarily expecting to do it (and it's completely against the challenge for this month).  But, we've decided to spend the money on our apartment while we still have a pretty decent disposable income.  Come the middle of next month, I'll be working at the shop more and more while I look for writing work.

This is the only picture I found of the old tv:


Here is how everything looks now:



All the consoles and the router fit behind the tv, so now it looks much cleaner.  I'm going to look into FreeGeek to get rid of our old laptop(s) and tv.

And lastly, here is what's going on at the 'flix. I don't intend to be harsh, but this is incredibly stressful.  I'm not here to tell you whether I agree with the change or not.  I am not Captain Netflix.  Obviously, this is going to be a rough few weeks.  I have to put in overtime there, too.  So, don't comment about the change here.  Or on my Facebook.  I don't want to hear it and I'm not supposed to play a customer service role outside of work.  Netflix doesn't like it's employees out in the world playing protector (or, alternatively, questioning their practices or insulting their customers).  Also, hearing friends and family say the exact same things that the ...folks who call me say fills me with rage and contempt.   I hardly got any sleep last night.  This job, on an average day, packs the 'umph' to give me a panic attack.  I'm sure you can imagine that going in on Friday feels a little like staring down the barrel of a gun.

Just a little honesty before my breakfast.  Please understand.  40+ hours a week is plenty.

On that note, I really need to head out for a run to relax.  Zoom!

4 comments:

  1. The new TV looks very nice. Isn't it nice to be able to hide the cables? Sorry the price increase is going to be a nightmare for all of you on the front-line. Seems to me that it's still a cheap way to watch stuff so I think folks are over-reacting. Especially since Netflix isn't a requirement like water/sewer/garbage all which keep going up, too. Oh, well...take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the TV, Bruce will be so jealous. Sorry you are so stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the family you mention who are discussing Netflix must be Rob unless I am reading too much into this. If his comments are filling you with rage and contempt, I think calling him and discussing it with him in person is a better way to go than posting it here. He loves you and doesn’t wish to cause you any stress, but your words here had an effect on him too and that is just as important to me. That said, his comments about Netflix’s policies don’t have anything to do with you. It is a service our family uses. You and your mom recently weren’t happy with the practices of Tom’s Shoes and felt comfortable sharing your opinion. Rob just did the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Danie. I just sent Rob's phone a text, but I'm sure he won't get it until the morning. This post is in no way directed at anyone in particular. Rob happened to be the last person to ask me about it, but my job basically seems to follow me everywhere. I'm really sorry it felt personal. It was supposed to be completely impersonal. :( The main difference between the Tom's thing and this is that I wasn't singling (sp?) out someone in particular with that issue. Again, I'm not targeting Rob or anyone here, this happens to most people who work at Netflix. I'm definitely not special. Anyway, I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad, I just don't want to talk about work outside of work.

    ReplyDelete