Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Social Network

We finally watched The Social Network tonight.  I found it completely nihilistic.  I don't necessarily mean that to be a bad thing.  But, as an audience member, it's weird to watch a bio pic in which the main character remains static.  I mean, there is literally no development at all.  I suppose that's truer to real life.  Not all of us evolve.

There's a lot of talk about what Facebook and other social networking has done to our society, namely our sense of self and the way we communicate.

After watching the film, I'm pretty willing to believe that subconsciously Mark Zuckerburg wanted to pass his social neurosis (preferring passive interaction and observation over active participation) on to the general population and even the playing field.  Maybe it was just the icing on the cake.

Roughly a year ago, Facebook hit 500 million members.

Netflix passed 20 million in February.

Facebook was launched in 2004.

Netflix launched in 1997.

Facebook has over 2,000 employees.

So does Netflix.

Facebook is free and is worth somewhere between $50 and $65 billion depending on who you ask.

Netflix has varying subscription prices, the lowest $4.99, and is worth about $2 billion.

Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook, 27


Reed Hastings, CEO of Netflix, 50

(Hey, Andrea, Hastings served in the Peace Corps).

Anyway, that was incredibly random.  Good night!


5 comments:

  1. Have you read this: http://www.good.is/post/unfriended-six-million-americans-fled-facebook-last-month/
    I think that just like AOL, chat rooms, and Myspace, Facebook will be just another technological fad. Something else will come out soon. There is always something new and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Facebook is here to stay, there will be those that leave for sure, but being that it is global, I think it will evolve with the the changing times. Unlike Myspace, Facebook has a much broader and eclectic user base. What I can't rap my mind around is how it can be worth so much and yet be free for users. Mind boggling

    ReplyDelete
  3. As some have pointed out, facebook's customers are not its users, but those who buy information about the users. That's how they make money, and that's the basis of their lucrative advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shoud have said facebook's customers are not its users; its users are the product being sold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly, I'm fascinated with what Facebook has done to/for marketing. I'm simultaneously drawn in and repulsed.

    ReplyDelete