Sunday, April 24, 2011

Times Like These (Or, Complaints and Musings from a Grumpy Easter)

 (\ /)
 (. .)
   (") (")o
Happy Easter!

***************

Most people in the US spend a portion of their lives devoting a disproportionate amount of time to work.  A lot of that work benefits them in no way other than earning a living.

For those reasons, I can't help but feel guilty for complaining about work.

I have a good job that pays very well.  It's a solid company.  Jobs like mine aren't easy to come by these days.  However, because of my schedule (I work weekends) and the lack of time off available (the company is working without a workforce manager) I haven't seen a lot of family or friends.

Maybe I'm being sensitive because our year in Korea was really hard on me in this way.  At least, in Korean culture, it's acceptable for adults for admit that they'd like to spend more time with their families.  Korean adults will openly admit that they miss their folks.  In America, if you're grown and you admit those feelings, your maturity and adult worth are inherently called into question.  I've always been attached to my family, so that particular cultural value is tough for me to swallow. 

I value the importance of striking out on one's own.  No one should feel trapped or obligated because of family ties.  In a perfect world, there would be a fluidity to it.  Come and go as you please, have a place that may function as a "home base."  Put down roots when and if you want to, but not fearing losing connections if you should leave.  

I'm very lucky in that way.  My family, for the most part, allows for that fluidity.

But I miss them.  I would rather be eating home made hummus at my Gramma's today and I'm feeling pretty sour about it.

If you want, tell me about some times that your schedule wasn't ideal or that work obligations kept you from having the life you wanted (read: the average American life).

I know things will get better and soon.  I just need to bark a little about it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you feel like you are missing out. I'm very attached to my family too. I call my mum almost every day, even if it is only to report on a funny thing the cats did. It does get easier to be away. It takes time. Our trick is to surround ourselves with makeshift family. Thanksgiving and Christmas this year were spent with a good friend and good food.
    I've actually been pretty lucky with understanding jobs. I hadn't even worked a full month at the bookstore when my grandmother passed away. The owner and manager actually tried to get me to take MORE time off than I was planning. I didn't, but it was nice to be treated like a person. Walgreens hadn't been so understanding. I was a number, a body to fill the time slot. Luckily I wasn't working there when a family emergency hit. I probably would have quit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you get time and a half, at least?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember working in the hospitals and working X-mas, thanksgiving etc. It was always difficult but less so as the years went by, what was most difficult was being away from you and Rob. I missed you today.

    ReplyDelete