Thursday, April 28, 2011

Snack Lunch

Snack lunches are my favorite.  I like to graze, so small portions of several things are the way to go.  It also makes it pretty easy to diversify my nutritional intake.

Trader Joe's soy yogurt (raspberry); left over onigiri (rice ball) stuffed with tofu, almonds and nori; cucumber; carrots and pimento stuffed green olives.

I haven't had soy yogurt in a long time.  When I initially tried it, commercial soy yogurt was pretty rare.  I was also still eating dairy at the time, so it didn't impress me.  This stuff is pretty good.  I like thick yogurt, so I was sad that this is "European" style, runny stuff.  But the berries are great.  Here's the one weird thing about soy yogurt.  As I was eating it, I couldn't place the subtle, almost mustardy flavor note I was getting.  Then I realized a possible answer.  Dairy milk is often curdled with citric acid; soy milk is curdled with vinegar.  I'm not sure if that's part of the process for making soy yogurt, but it would make sense to me.

This lunch is about 305 calories, by the way.

4 comments:

  1. I know you're not going to like me, but that yogurt has 19gm of sugar. That's about 4 teaspoonfuls, and about half of the total dry weight of the product. 114 calories of sugar, more than 1/3 of the total for the meal.

    Check out http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/13/talk-to-gary-taubes-about-sugar/ for some discussion about it.

    BTW, younger people tolerate all sorts of bad stuff better than older people, so some of this is ageist in a weird way, but still germane imho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks sort of like my lunch, just switch out the yogurt for hummus and add snap peas. I've really grown to love olives. I used to hate them because I overdosed on them at a Thanksgiving in my childhood. Now I'm getting back into it.
    I've never tried soy yogurt. Not a big soy fan. Tofu and tempe are about the only soy I eat. I just found a recipe for tofu aoili that I really want to try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very Korean your lunch does, with lots of banchun. Chelsea what is Aoili? I love soy yogurt as a treat sometimes. I quenches my creamy taste buds

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aioli is what I meant to put. Basically garlic mayonaise.

    ReplyDelete