Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Oregon Humane Society

Every Tuesday I spend at least a couple of hours volunteering at the shelter.  During the (slightly over) two hours I was there today, I showed four cats and all four were adopted.  A good day indeed.


It's on a super busy street, basically a highway.  Walking from volunteer parking to the entrance always sucks.


One of the coolest things about this shelter is that there is a teaching veterinary hospital in it.  There are giant windows where the spay and neuter surgeries happen, so you can watch.  I think that's a pretty positive thing for the general public.


Sorry about the blurry photos.  This is Shiloh.  He weighs 21 pounds and has the tiniest squeak you've ever heard for a meow.  He was adopted today by a couple who was really excited about getting him healthy.


These are called colony rooms.  6-8 cats coexist in these rooms.  Companies sponsor them and are allowed to design them as they choose:




Here's the website if you want to learn more about it.

2 comments:

  1. I love the kitty colonies, how cool is that. Can't believe there is a kitty that weighs more than Godfrey! I think it is awesome that you are doing volunteer work for the humane society. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very cool that you're helping out there and I'm thrilled someone adopted fat cat.

    ReplyDelete