Wednesday, April 6, 2011

벚꽃


That's "cherry blossom" in Korean.  It's a tough one to say ('beojkkoch').

Ian and I took a walk downtown today after the meeting with Craig, the current owner of Oasis Pizza.  Things are moving forward pretty quickly.  We may be proprietors here very soon.  Ian had Steve, his boss at Villa (and a former restaurant owner) take a look at the numbers.  From the looks of things, it's pulling in about $5,000 /week.  That's with no management or oversight ...and 11 folks on crew.  Craig only goes in for about an hour a day, five days a week.  He's ready to be done with the place.  There's room for improvement and a whole lot of potential here.  The place just needs somebody to care.

We have a second meeting with Craig tomorrow at Oasis and Ian called the landlord (a Thai fellow named Na) today to discuss the future of the lease, as there isn't one right now.  That's something we'll need to nail down.  We need a written guarantee from Na.

This is all a little bizarre to me.  I never really imagined myself as a business owner, but I always saw it in Ian.  I'm stoked to see him so excited.

6 comments:

  1. I'm excited for Cari running our books for free. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I run a tight ship. Can you say bookkeeper Nazi.
    Seriously though , I do have a business license for bookkeeping

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, exciting. I think sometimes landlords want a cut of the gross. That might be either good or bad, depending on whether you want him to share some of the risk (and therefore, reward).

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, y'know there's lots of special software for pizza parlour owners, like automatic phone-in caller-id previous customer/order displayers, delivery route routers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, here's something off the subject that your cherry blossom /bridge picture reminded me of. We saw this movie the other day called "Paranoid Park," set mainly in Portland about these skateboard slackers. Ever seen it? (It's a few years old.) We didn't like it too much cuz it was too slow, but it was definitely different.

    ReplyDelete