Saturday, March 19, 2011

Stocking the Freezer

Work days can be rough for eating.  10 hour shifts encourage me to snack and I'm not always great at controlling what I'm craving.  A few days ago, I decided to go from vegetarian to vegan to make it a little harder to cave in and eat junk food.  So far, it's been great.

On Tuesday (my Saturday) I made a big batch of rice and tofu scramble, put it in portioned Gladware containers and stuck them in the freezer.  It's important for me to do this every weekend so that I don't have to think about lunch at 5:30am.  Portioning things is also better for my weight loss goals.


Half cup servings of rice and one cup servings of tofu scramble.

My scramble has two kinds to tofu (medium firm and firm rustic tofu made by a Vietnamese shop over on 82nd), kale, shiitaki mushrooms, spinach, and yellow squash.  It's topped with a sauce I made out of roasted red pepper hummus, soy milk and white wine vinegar.  It's really great and easy to make.  I'll probably do the same thing for next week.  Maybe add some ginger or something.  It needs a little spice.

I also pack three pieces of fruit everyday.  A piece of citrus for breakfast and an apple and an Anjou pear for snacks later in the day.  I also packed a small serving of pretzels today because I've been hungrier lately.

What do you pack for lunch (or any meal) when you have to be at work or out and about?

3 comments:

  1. I pack my green smoothie, I either make it the night before if I have a uber early morning. Then I pack raw veggies and homemade hummus of some sort. Then some nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Planning food in the morning SUCKS. Today there was nothing in the fridge, so I have an apple, a carrot, an avocado and a heal of stale bread for lunch. Fun. Usually I try to have a salad prepared so I can just scoop it into a tupperware, top it with beans and take it on the road. Your tofu scramble sounds fantastic, however. I'll need to give that one a try. Where are you getting vegan recipes from? I am intrigued by the vegan lifestyle, but scared of it as well. I love cheese. It is my weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheese is Ian's weakness, too. But he hardly eats it anymore. That was probably Korea's doing. He still gets it when we're out. Mostly I just veganize stuff I already know how to make. I also read "Alien's Day Out" and she's a vegan in Seoul, so she posts a lot of yummy Asian stuff. As for other stuff, I use Veganomicon and a few other great cookbooks we got for our wedding.

    ReplyDelete