Friday, March 25, 2011

Blurry Chronicles of Strange Imbibing

Ian and I went to Pacific Market tonight to get some groceries.  A post about the excursion will be posted shortly (by Ian, yay!).


While there, we picked up some fun times.


And some more probable fun times.

Ginseng Drink with Root:




Verdict: "Too sweet.  Like an Americanized ginseng drink."  Which is weird because it appears to be straight from Korea or China.  Tough to tell.



Verdict: "Too much citric acid."

Dragon Fruit Juice:




Verdict: "Not bad.  But, I do not support this texture." Dragon fruit is a melon... and there are junks of it in it.




Verdict: "Yay! I dig it."


We also bought some tamarind candy, which I highly recommend.  It's coating is a mixture of salt, sugar and chili.  So, it's literally sweet, sour, salty and a little spicy.  Remember, though, tamarind is mostly seeds; so chew thoughtfully.

4 comments:

  1. the dragon fruit juice looks good. I remember eating it in Cambodia. I miss it. Love the expressions on your faces

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys look healthy and just, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Indians use a lot of tamarind in their food. Have you tried any dal recipes with tamarind? (Which, btw, you should be able to get in raw pod form at your local Asian market, if not even local grocer, as well as tamarind extract.)(Actually, I don't remember whether tamarind was used in dal, but I do remember a lot of dal and a lot of tamarind, so the odds are good.) Oh, I should also mention that tamarind is the secret ingredient in steak sauce, like e.g. A-1 and/or worcestershire.

    Oh, another thing about dal -- my Indian co-worker years ago showed me that dal is well-prepared in a pressure cooker. Saves a lot of time, and still comes out great. I used to cook lots of it in those days. I think it took about 15 mins or so in the pressure cooker, but I'm sure the web will be happy to tell you a lot more info.

    I also find that the pressure cooker is great for beans, and grains like barley. Barley-mushroom soup is most excellent. Esp. on rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom- The dragon fruit juice was good, but very sweet. I could only do a little. I miss real dragon fruit.

    Chelsea- Thanks! :)

    Peter- We eat a lot of dal. I'm not sure what tamarind would be like in it. It's a lot brighter than any of the other ingredients. As far as pressure cooking, we use our rice maker that way. But, it tends to make a mess out of it, so I keep it to things like plain beans and lentils.

    ReplyDelete