Monday, February 7, 2011

On Choices

I'm really glad that a couple of folks took some time to share their opinions on their impression of Viso.  It makes me happy that people not only read the blog, but they actually take the time to think about what I'm posting.  

Rad.

But, in this case, I do feel it's necessary to elaborate on my opinion of Viso and clarify some things.

Viso is not something I would recommend having everyday.  I also find the use of the word "supplement" on the can a little amusing.  For me, Viso is a caffeinated treat.  One I consume once a week at maximum and I wouldn't recommend anyone go for it more often than that.

It's a treat because it does have a lot of sugar in it.  Compared to the average American (with whom I share culture and access to groceries and products) I consume very little sugar.  I still think I eat too much of it.  That's why one of the challenges is to spend a month away from it.  I, personally, agree with the research that says that HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) is metabolized and treated differently by the body than other forms of sugar.  Most, if not all, modern soda pops contain HFCS or aspartame if they're diet.  So, I stay entirely away from the stuff and lean more toward cane syrups and plain old sugar.  I do understand, however, that sugar (or, better put, simple carbohydrates) equal fat.  Sugar isn't good for you, but there are worse things (I happen to believe animal protein is one of those things).  So, it's good to make note of the grams of sugar something contains.  I also don't think it's good to drink 20% or more of your daily caloric intake.

Caffeine is a tricky beast.  I think that natural sources of caffeine are easier for your body to handle than artificial ones.  And everyone metabolizes caffeine differently.  I don't have a problem with it.  I drink three shots over ice without getting jittery.  I also come from a coffee drinking family, but I don't know if that makes any difference.

I sure hope that people don't consume Viso for nutritional support.  I'm definitely behind the research saying that vitamins and minerals really need to come in naturally through food choices.  But, because of my vegetarian diet, I'm happy for any minuscule amount of B vitamins I can absorb.

I love Viso.  But, I know that it's candy in a can.  I work in an industry where folks are constantly dosing themselves with caffeine.  Some of the drinks of choice?  Redbull.  Rockstar.  Mountain Dew.  If we're talking about replacements (which is something I don't do, as far as my eating habits are concerned), I think Viso would be a step up.

Being healthy is about making choices.  We're not all or nothing people, so you'll never see us exclusively condemn or praise something.  Which is why there will be a "cons" section added to all Product Spotlights going forward.

And, don't stop commenting your opinions.  I really like the opportunity for discussion.  That's what this is here for, after all.

3 comments:

  1. Watch the ingredient list for folic acid , it is the synthetic version of Folate, and is linked to breast cancer and other bad things. Vitamin A isolates are not are not good either. I enjoyed your post

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case anyone is not aware, putting "supplement" on the product label prevents scrutiny from the FDA, because Congress passed a law that explicitly says the FDA is not permitted to evaluate "dietary supplements" like, e.g., valerian root or ginseng powder, or vitamin pills, or, in this case, caffeine-sugar-vitamin drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My body can't handle caffeine, so that may also be why I was somewhat repulsed by the Viso. I get heart palpitations and feel nauseous if I have too much. I can drink one cup of tea in the morning, black, green, or chai, and that is it. Over consumption of caffeine grosses me out almost as much as the added minerals and health claims.
    That is a very interesting point that Peter raised about supplements. I never knew.

    ReplyDelete