Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Kitty Comes Home

My cat, Ava, went to live with my mom while we were in Korea.  I wanted us to be moderately settled in before we brought her to Portland, so she was with mom for a few months after we got back.

I drove up to Mom's on Monday night after work.  I stayed the night there and left with Ava in her Humane Society cardboard carrier in the morning after Mom went to work.  I was sure that Ava would have a rough go of our three hour journey, but she slept the whole way, only quietly poking her nose out to investigate a couple of times.

All of her stuff is set up in the back bedroom/office/random room, I took her right in there when we got home.  I left the door closed and let her get acclimated and build a comfort zone for about an hour.  Then I opened the door and went about my chores and things, knowing she would come out when she felt comfortable.

Ava is a backwards cat.  She felt comfortable being out and exploring when we were in the room, but hid as soon as we left.  She stayed in the bedroom until my friend came over for dinner, when she came out and sat on the floor next to him.

She goes well with our decor.

So do her dishes.  She doesn't eat any artificial ingredients, either.

She watches joggers and dog walkers out the windows.

And she follows us everywhere we go and cries at our closed closet doors and the glass block window in the entryway.

Ian made this bed for her out of a suitcase that we bought at a vintage store.  She slept in it some yesterday, which, if you know how cats can be about things you do for them, is a little remarkable.

7 comments:

  1. This entire post makes me all warm and happy. I want to meet this kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little bed is adorable. I would totally sleep in that if I thought I could fit more than my big toe in it : P.

    I anticipate a new little kitten in my household soonish, hopefully she'll settle in as well as Ava seems to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss Ava Tsunami! She looks like she is settling in well, so I am happy for her. Love the bed! most awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! Kitty! I'm glad she has taken so quickly to her new surroundings. Olive was like that too. She didn't get upset by being uprooted and put someplace new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, Ava doesn't eat anything artificial, but what I want to know is is she a vegan?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No. I don't think that cats and dogs should eat that sort of diet. Their bodies just aren't intended for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cute little home for Ava! Joey can't wait to meet her! I think they'll be famous buddies... at least i hope so!

    ReplyDelete