Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Belated Valentine's Day Out

Ian and I celebrated Valentine's Day on the 16th, partially because of our schedules and partially because we started dated (5 years ago) on February 16th.

We decided to go the day without driving.  To start with, we walked down to the New Deal Cafe for biscuits and gravy.  Upon dissecting my gravy this time, I found it sans soy, just lots of mushrooms, spices and a little celery.  It's probable that I was just being neurotic last time.

After breakfast we hopped on the Max and spent the day downtown window shopping.  I have only two pictures from the whole day.  I'm obviously already out of the habit of documenting everything.


This is the first time I've ever had someone make a design in my latte.  It was at a cafe called Public Domain Coffee.  We also had pastries there for lunch.


 The tradition lives! Party photo with random art mannequin horse outside of some shops.

That night we saw a movie at the art museum.  The Portland International Film Festival is going on now.  We wanted to see A Barefoot Dream, but it was a little earlier in the evening and we wouldn't have had time to eat dinner before hand.  So, we saw Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives instead.  That film is the first that I've seen in a long time that I didn't understand.  At all.  I'm not even comfortable telling you whether I liked it or not.  I don't know.  This is partially because the cultural gap and partially due to film style.  According to analyses, the film is supposed to be made up of vignettes.  But, for me, it was more like there were parallel stories (that I couldn't comprehend) dropped into a linear story (that I didn't understand).  In interviews, the director discussed that he purposed transitioned between cinematography styles through the film, adding to my puzzlement.

It did give me some pretty interesting dreams, however.

  

1 comment:

  1. Love the photo with the horse. You got to get back in the habit of taking tons of photos missy. The latte looks really good, how do you make designs in the foam? Happy 5 years!

    ReplyDelete