Sunday, February 13, 2011

Failures

...Or missteps if you're being nice about it.

I got sick with a crappy chest bug on Tuesday.  It became an actual issue for me on Thursday and I had to call out from two days of work.  Huge bummer.

Well, with being ill and feeling low I had a couple of failures with the challenge.  I said I'd admit to them if any happened, so here they are.  I won't call them mistakes or accidents, because I actually knew that it was against my goals, but I continued anyway.

  1. Nyquil
Why is it a failure?  It contains high fructose corn syrup.
Why did I take it?  I couldn't breathe and therefore couldn't sleep.  It's the only cold medicine we've got.  I hate the stuff.  I'll be soon looking into a better option.

     2. Blue Bunny Cookie Dough Ice Cream

Why is it a failure?  It contains two or three chemical preservatives.
Why did I eat it?  I wanted ice cream and it was the only brand available at the closest store (read: lazy).

     3. Oreo Cookies

Why is it a failure?  They contain high fructose corn syrup and artificial vanilla flavor.
Why did I eat them?  They were the only cookies Pacific Market (an Asian shop) had.  I had been asking Ian for cookies.

I wouldn't have an appetite all day and then I just craved junk at night.  Good news, things are getting back on track.  I'm human and I have some really bad habits that are super easy to fall back into.  But, honesty is far better than perfection.



2 comments:

  1. It so hard to avoid those things 100% of the time. It requires a diligence that never ends. My hat is off to you for your efforts. So many people don't even look at the list of ingredients and those that do, don't connect the dots that these things are chemicals and are horrible for us. So kudos too you for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bust Magazine had a home made nyquil like recipe, if you'd like me to send it to you sometime. I haven't used it, but it involves whiskey, which I find intriguing... Glad you are feeling better! And I too cave under the pressure of cookies sometimes.

    ReplyDelete