Sunday, May 22, 2011

Micro Story

Since I've been out sick, I've been trying to be productive all the same.  It's time to start getting the Jecheon book in order.  I need to build a portfolio and put together an outline so that I have something to show potential editors.

First thing's first, though, I need to start clearing out the cobwebs in my ol' brain.  Jezebel, a women's interest site that I follow, is having a very general short fiction contest.  They're calling for stories 500 words or less with a female protagonist.  The deadline is Friday and the prize is a pile of books penned by awesome lady writers.  

I figured this was a good opportunity to stick my big toe into the water.  So, I took a post from Everybody Jecheon Tonight and turned it into a micro story.  Here's the first draft, criticisms and comments, chuseyo (please).  I'm also not sold on the title, so let me know your thoughts.

Welcome Dinner



We followed Julia out to the car. Like her, it was stately, expensive and a little intimidating. The black sedan was straight to the point and though she had probably owned it for months, the interior looked and smelled as if she had bought it earlier that day. She motioned for us to take the back seats as she slid into the driver’s. I sat. The awkward roil in my stomach was something that I was growing accustomed to in the three days that I had been in Korea.

“Where are we eating dinner again?” I felt like Julia had given more details to Ian than to me.

“I don’t know. “ He leaned forward. “Julia, where are we going to eat?”

“Uh,” then she said something I didn’t understand. I tried to work it out in my head. ‘Bead-um’ is what I had heard her say. I spent the next several minutes running through every food or type of food that started with the letter B. While I was playing my own personal alphabet game, Ian was productively narrowing it down. “Rice, vegetable, fish, rolls,” Julia was continuing to Ian.

“Does she remember that we’re vegetarians?” I was letting Ian take all the falls tonight. He tentatively reminded her.

“Oh, yes. Okay. You eat fish?”

“No, no fish, chicken, beef or anything like that. We do eat eggs and milk, though.” His body was tight with discomfort. He was able to talk to her, however. After the last eight hours spent making and remaking lesson plans for her approval, which I still hadn’t won, I could hardly look at her. She exhausted me. I looked out the window and let the neon shop signs overwhelm my train of though. I counted glowing red crosses atop churches. Eleven if you count the ones just past those hills. I thought Koreans were Buddhists.

“Your parents are vegetarians?” Julia and Ian’s conversation had continued.

“Mine aren’t. They eat a lot of meat, actually. Casey’s mom is, though.”

“Oh, really? It’s good to do. You are nice children, obedient.”

We drove a few minutes more in silence. She began to mumble to herself in Korean and drive more slowly down the street. I leaned toward her a little, worried she was trying to talk to us. She wasn’t. She was lost. She dialed her phone and made a U-Turn. I squinted at the headlights of the oncoming cars as we changed directions on the four lane street. After less than a minute of what we could only infer as a frustrating conversation by the way it was punctuated by sighs, she made another U-Turn and we pulled into a nearly empty parking lot. “Vietnamese Cuisine” was written in small, blocky type on the bottom of the brightly lit rectangular sign.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my word, I am so excited. It is awesome (I know I am your mom), but even so I love it. 500 words or less? how many do you have thus far.
    I am really excited for you, way to get the ball rolling. I think you should submit it to other publications as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's right around 460 words right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it okay to go over 500? I really do love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has to be under 500 for this one. I'll expand this story, but for this contest it's got to be brief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really good! I like it. Here are some reactions.

    Maybe you could punch up the first sentence. For example, "Julia's car was just like her: stately, expensive and a little intimidating." Maybe the reader doesn't need to know you followed her to the car. Instead, you start with a little more mystery to draw them in.

    Are you sure the reader doesn't need to know who Ian and Casey are, or that Casey is the narrator? I'm not saying they do, but you should be sure that's how you want it.

    though --> thought (typo)

    “Where are we eating dinner again?” --> “Where are we eating dinner, again?” Otherwise it sounds like you're eating dinner again.

    How do you know Ian's body was tight with discomfort? Maybe you could say "I could feel Ian's body tighten with discomfort." Active verbs generally read better than the verb to be, too.

    U-Turn --> U-turn.

    drive more slowly down the street --> drive more slowly. Where would she be driving, but down the street? Hey, you've only got a budget of 500 words.

    infer as a frustrating conversation --> infer was a frustrating conversation ? Typo?

    If the punchline is “Vietnamese Cuisine” then the last sentence might work better as
    "Written in small, blocky type on the bottom of the brightly lit rectangular sign were the words “Vietnamese Cuisine."

    Or, "Written in small, blocky type on the bottom of the brightly lit rectangular sign, below a string of unintelligible Korean characters, were the words “Vietnamese Cuisine." (To remind the reader that this is Korea and lengthen the suspense.)

    ...Just some ideas which may or may not fit with what you had in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Peter! It's so hard to catch that stuff in your own writing. I haven't printed it yet, either, so it definitely hasn't been properly proofed. I like where you're going with that ending. I think it serves the purpose a bit better. I'll definitely pull that in in the next draft.

    ReplyDelete