Thursday, January 20, 2011

Vegan Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust

We're not up to a whole lot lately besides getting the apartment together and working and I'm trying to post as much as possible, so I'm ending up with food posts.

Ian makes pizza for a living, so he's pretty quick when it comes to throwing together dough.  In my opinion, dough makes or breaks a pizza.  A lot of people say it's in the sauce (also important), but that foundation really has to be there.

Here's Ian's "Quick Pizza Dough" recipe:

1 tbsp yeast
1/2 c warm water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
1 1/4 c flour (we used whole wheat)

Preheat the oven to 425, give the yeast 5 minutes in the water to activate.  Put the flour in the mixing bowl, add the salt to the oil and combine the wet and dry.  Knead with a mixer (or by hand) until it shows elasticity.  Stretch it out into two personal size pizzas, add your favorite toppings and bake for about 20 minutes.

There's no need to proof this dough, hence the quickness.


I like my pizza with artichokes and chopped almonds.  The sauce is really good.  No paste, only fresh tomatoes, garlic and spices processed and then cooked down.

Good with a Drop Top, but then again, what isn't?

4 comments:

  1. That looks spectacular. Not only is a good crust a must, but knowing how to "throw it" or roll it makes the difference between okay crust and really good crust. Ian has the knack for getting it right. Thanks for posting. It looks like I don't have to give up pizza now that I am a Vegan. Ian I hope you can teach me the art of making a good crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention nutritional yeast! There's definitely nutritional yeast on my pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Nutritional yeast on everything! Just noticed the yellow tab/bar at the top. I love the addition. Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Artichokes and almonds! That sounds great! My favorite toppings are goat cheese, mushrooms, and spinach. Yum!

    ReplyDelete