Tuesday, January 18, 2011

E'Njoni Cafe

Due to a schedule miscommunication, Ian ended up closing tonight.  Since being stuck in a mall food court makes dinner surprisingly difficult, I decided to swing by and bring him sustenance when I got off work.  I found an Ethiopian (slash African, slash Mediterranean) restaurant on my phone and headed over.

E'Njoni Cafe is tucked away on Killingsworth Street, which makes it a little difficult to get to, but it's worth it.  The place has a fusion atmosphere that really suits the cuisine's region, the staff (I think it's family run) is super friendly and the food is cheap and delicious. I ordered take away, so I didn't take pictures of the place itself.  But, we'll be heading back there.

The place does serve meat, but the menu has a lot of vegetarian (mostly vegan, actually) choices.  I took some pictures of our order with my phone, but forgive the presentation as it's in disposable serveware and we were in the mall.

I also picked up some apple curry bao (Asian (Chinese, mostly) rice buns) from Steamers because I've been curious about them.  I was a little disappointed with those, but Ian liked them.


Peanut Yam Soup $3.  It needed either a little acidity or sodium, but I really liked it.  Maybe my favorite part.


Veggies (greens, red lentils, chickpeas and okra) wrapped in injera (traditional Ethiopian/ Eritrean bread) $8  This wasn't exactly what I expected.  I ordered a plate with the three separate sets of veggies.  I knew it came on bread, but I didn't know it would all be together.  The flavors were great, but I'd rather eat each on its own.


Close up of the okra.


The bao and some brown rice.  Around $6 from Steamers.  The buns were good, but the apple flavor wasn't super pronounced.  The Japanese curry flavor definitely reigned.  The bao was well made, so I think I might try the other flavors.  I also want to try to make bao and other rice cakes/buns at home.  The Pacific Market down the street has rice cake flour.

We also saw The King's Speech tonight.  I highly recommend it.  The cinematography is wonderful and it's beautifully acted.  It has inspired me to learn more about pre-WWII Britain.  It would be "Britain" in that case, right?  And not "England?"  Either way, I'm interested.  I think a trip should be in order for the future.

2 comments:

  1. the food looks and sounds so wonderful. we must go there my next visit. You are so fortunate to have a wonderfully diverse restaurant selection there. I am jelous

    ReplyDelete
  2. My picky taste buds are always fascinated by your choices. It makes me curious.

    England is just the country of England itself. Britain is England, Scotland, and Wales all on the same island. The United Kingdom (also called Great Britain) includes all the above plus Northern Ireland. At least that's the way I understand it.

    Here is a better explanation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminology_of_the_British_Isles Scroll down for a diagram that helps make it all make sense.

    ReplyDelete