Thursday, December 9, 2010

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like...

A great big mess.

Projects are officially under way around the apartment and where there was once clean, empty floor space there is now, well... this.

Ian is cleaning and refinishing the steamer trunk that his parents gave us.  When the living room is put together, it will act as a coffee table.

The kitchen isn't fairing much better right now.

I made these ginger butter cookies by adding fresh ginger to the simple butter cookie recipe in the Betty Crocker Cookbook.  I sliced some candied ginger and put a small piece on top of each.

And, though I won't go into specifics (since it's for Christmas), I'm learning to use this guy.

It's difficult for me to get in to the Christmas spirit this year.  I'll be working on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so I'll miss out on a lot of the holiday get togethers.  It's also very difficult to decorate a home that isn't furnished.  But, we're making the most of it.  We bought a live, potted Douglas Fir the other night.  Live Evergreens can't be inside for very long, so we're picking it up next Wednesday or Thursday.  We met Mom in Centralia and she gave us some of the Christmas decorations we had over there along with some hand-me-downs and those will go up next week with the tree.

For now, we have this swag up in our entry to make the place smell a little Christmas-y.  

3 comments:

  1. The ginger cookies are awesome, not too sweet and just the right amount of ginger. Well done! the swag looks nice and looks like it smells good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just starting to learn how to get into the Christmas spirit when you have neither family nor money. It is disgusting how much people buy at Christmas and how large a part of the Christmas tradition it is! I was at Macy's the other night and while it was beautiful (and here they have the big picture window Christmas displays) it really just made me long for my parents house and the vinegar smell of my dads famous chicken wings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! Ian has Christmas ornaments we bought special for him through the years that you should have. The silver bells plus some Hallmark ones.

    ReplyDelete